This week we’re continuing with the new series: local history quizzes! Josh Flint has used the fantastic Leodis Photographic website to pose 20 questions about different areas of Leeds. A quick clue – remember to use the Leodis website to answer these questions (you can find the answers in a PDF at the bottom of the page)
Note – Some of the photograph descriptions are purposefully vague.
Section 1: Leeds City Centre
- Here is the Leeds Central Library. Can you name the road that is in between the Leeds Central Library and the Town Hall?
- Do you know the architect that designed the Leeds Corn Exchange? What other Leeds landmark did this architect design?
- This photograph shows a section of a famous Leeds theatre. Can you name the theatre and find the entire photograph on Leodis?
- What is the full name of this historic Parish Church?
Section 2: West Leeds
- Can you name this important and well known mill that has now become a large museum?
- This famous house sits in the middle of a large West Leeds park. Can you name this house and the park?
- This is an aerial photograph of Pudsey. Do you know the date when Pudsey became part of Leeds?
- What is the name of this very famous Kirkstall House?
Section 3: East Leeds
- Can you name this main road that goes through Cross Gates?
- The beautiful and historic Temple Newsam House is a main Leeds attraction. Do you know the Century when the House was built?
- Killingbeck Hospital was extended in 1904. This extension was created to tackle what illness?
- Here is Seacroft Library. Can you name the date that Seacroft Library opened?
Section 4: South Leeds
- This is the Carlsberg-Tetley Brewery. Do you know the year that the Brewery closed?
- Do you know where this famous South Leeds farm is?
- Here is Hunslet Rugby team lifting the Rugby League Championship in 1938. Do you know the full name of the Hunslet Rugby Club?
- Can you name this Foreign Secretary walking through Elland Road in 1941?
Section 5: North Leeds
17, This is a section of a photograph of a famous Hall near Otley. Can you name the Hall and find the rest of the photo on Leodis?
18. Do you know where this incredible landscape is located In North Leeds?
19. Can you name this famous Leeds Stadium? What sport is primarily played their?
20. This is Hyde Park Picture House, it is on the corner of two roads. Can you name them?