- What year is the very first (known) map of Leeds from? (above)
2. Which local boy and cartographer drew the first atlas of England & Wales in 1579? (the Central Library has a copy; the image above is a detail from the Yorkshire section)
a. John Dee
b. John Speed
c. Christopher Saxton
3. This is a detail (above) from a famous c.1726 map of Leeds. To whom is it attributed?
a. Sir Jason Cousins
b. John Cossins
c. Lord John Charltone of Ashington
4. In which seminal book of Leeds historiography was this 1684 Prospect by William Lodge first seen?
a. Thoresby’s Vicaria Leodiensis
b. Whitaker’s Loidis and Elmete
c. Thoresby’s Ducatus Leodiensis
5. This 1715 Prospect (above) appeared in the same book – but who authored it?
a. Francis Place
b. Samuel Buck
c. It was William Lodge again
6. This (above) is a detail from the famous 1745 Prospect by Samuel Buck – it shows Leeds from which direction?
7. Which early Leeds map is this (above) a detail from?
a. Thomas Jeffrey’s 1770 plan of Leeds town
b. Thomas Gent’s 1733 map of Leeds
c. Wright’s 1797 map showing 10 miles around Leeds
8. In what year was Netlam and Francis Giles’ map of Leeds published? (a detail can be seen above)
9. Which 19th-century newspaper editor and politician published the 1834 ‘Map of the Borough of Leeds’? (a detail can be seen above)
a. Edward Baines
b. Samuel Smiles
c. Christopher Kemplay
10. This (above) is Joseph Rhodes 1832 ‘ [x] Panorama of Leeds’. What should be in place of the ‘x’?
11. What does this 1838 map (above) by Billington show?
a. a proposed design for Leeds’ Zoological Garden
b. the boundaries of Leeds’ ancient Manorial Park
c. Roundhay Park
12. What do the blue dots in this detail of an 1842 map of Leeds show?
a. locations of cholera-sufferers
b. locations of smallpox sufferers
c. locations of typhoid sufferers
13. In which year was this first 6″ to 1 mile Ordnance Survey map of Leeds published?
14. This 1844 Prospect (above) shows Leeds from which Out-Township?
15. Finally, this extraordinary Prospect by Pettingell and Brownlow Thompson dates to which year?
How did you do? Click to see the answers! And check out our Maps of Leeds research guide, for more on the Central Library’s collection of local maps – contact us on 0113 37 86982 or via email@example.com for access options.