Leeds City Council is reviewing the statues in Leeds to see how they can better represent the diversity of our city. The Leader of the Council, Councillor Judith Blake has commissioned an independent review into the statues in Leeds. The review will:
- look at the way the city has celebrated individuals through statues
- review all statues or representations of individuals in public places (including any plaques or information boards)
- consult with a range of individuals and organisations on their views
- prepare a report with recommendations for future actions (expected to be published in September 2020)
- The review is independent from Leeds City Council and will be led by Honorary Alderwoman, Alison Lowe. Alison will be supported by a number of historical experts to inform the review.
Have your say at CreativeCity@leeds.gov.uk
You can give your views on any aspect of public art in Leeds. We will be taking views from organisations and the public until 31 July 2020. You might want to think about the questions below. Are there any statues that:
- you consider of particular importance to the city?
- you object to, because of who the individual is, how they are represented or the location of the statue?
- could have plaques added or improved, and if so how?
Thinking about who is currently represented:
- are there any individuals or groups that are absent?
- how do you think Leeds can best represent significant individuals and how should they be selected?
If you require information on this review in other formats please get in touch via CreativeCity@leeds.gov.uk and we will get back to you. We can accept responses in more accessible formats if required, such as audioclips and videos and will aim to be flexible around the closing date of the review around this where needed.
Find more information about the review and how to contact us here: https://www.leeds.gov.uk/your-council/consultations-and-feedback/statues-review
You can view the press release here: https://news.leeds.gov.uk/news/public-consultation-into-leeds-statues-begins
See Leeds Libraries’ talking statues reading guide, for more on the history behind some of Leeds’ most famous statues.
Or contact our Local and Family History department if you require further information about the people and events depicted in statues around the city – 0113 37 86982 or via email@example.com