Home » Treasures » The Thomas Wilson Collection » Chartularium Kirkstallense (c.1740)

Chartularium Kirkstallense (c.1740)

A collection of transcriptions made by Thomas Wilson of around two-hundred Charters, deeds etc. These he had acquired both from the sale of Ralph Thoresby’s museum in the 1740s and also from “a nest of Original Charters, Royal Grants &c.” that he had discovered in a chest at Chapel Allerton and which was believed to have lain undiscovered since the Dissolution.

The discovery of the charters at Chapel Allerton led to Wilson unearthing two Abbotts of Kirkstall Abbey that had been unknown until then.

The Chartularium contains an original deed dated 1460.

Please contact the Local and Family History department on 0113 37 86982 or via localandfamilyhistory@leeds.gov.uk to arrange a viewing of this book. Two forms of ID will be required.