The Rotation Office

The Rotation Office (late 1700s – early 1800s) New Market Street This was a brick building in a narrow yard, named for the magistrates who attended here, in ‘rotation’, to hear cases that came within the jurisdiction of the borough – but which did not justify the need for a jury. They were able to…

Park Row Courthouse

Park Row Courthouse (1813 – 1861) Bottom of Park Row The Courthouse, designed by Thomas Taylor, was located at the bottom of Park Row and was first opened in 1813, replacing the courts in the Moot Hall, Briggate. The Rotation Office, formerly on Kirkgate and where Magistrates made decisions before going to trial, was moved…